Community Camera Program
Help solve crime in your area!
The Community Camera Program allows residents and businesses to share the location of their video surveillance system with the Frederick Police Department. Video cameras are increasingly being used in residential and commercial properties to prevent crime and memorialize events as they occur. As such, video evidence has become extremely helpful in solving crimes, identifying perpetrators, and serves as valuable evidence in court.
The Frederick Police Department Community Camera Program is a voluntary partnership with residents and businesses to help solve crimes in the Town of Frederick. In the event of a critical incident or criminal investigation, business or residential security cameras may capture evidence essential to solving a case. Police investigations frequently involve time-intensive neighborhood canvasses to locate a surveillance camera that may have captured evidence related to a crime. Knowing camera locations speeds up investigations by allowing officers to prioritize where to begin looking for evidence. The best available video evidence is often not of the crime scene itself but rather the pathways and streets leading into and out of the crime scene.
Registration is voluntary, and there is no cost associated with registration. Registering your information does not provide the Frederick Police Department with direct access to your camera. You may request your camera location information to be deleted from the program at any time by contacting the Frederick Police Department at 720.382.5700. An individual's or business's personal information will be kept confidential by the Town unless subject to disclosure by court order. Your camera location information will be accessed only by law enforcement personnel who are investigating a crime in the vicinity of where your camera is located. You will only be contacted by the Frederick Police Department in the future if there is a criminal incident in the vicinity of your security camera. Police personnel, if necessary, may request a copy of any video captured by your camera, which may assist in the investigation of a crime.
The goal of the program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the Frederick Police Department and the community we serve. Accordingly, all registrants agree to the following terms and conditions.
- You may be asked to provide any footage containing or related to any criminal activity to the Frederick Police Department for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal investigation.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of the Town of Frederick and/or the Frederick Police Department through the program.
- If necessary, the Frederick Police Department will contact you directly, using the information provided on this site, to request the appropriate video surveillance footage.
The Frederick Police Department will maintain a confidential list of residents and businesses that have camera systems and what areas in the community they may be capturing. Participating in this program would greatly assist the Frederick Police Department when there is a need to canvas the area for information that would help solve crimes.
If you are interested in participating in this partnership with the Frederick Police Department, please complete the registration form.
If you are considering purchasing a video surveillance system, please consider the following:
- The higher the resolution of the video, the better results will be yielded.
- A minimum of 30-days storage of information is recommended.
- Camera placement is extremely important.
- Camera(s) should face entrance and exit points.
- Camera(s) should be located on private property only.
Note: Cameras can be mounted on private property only. They cannot be mounted on telephone poles, street light poles, or other town sign poles, street signs, or directional signs.