Courtroom Standards

General Court Questions

Do I need to appear in court?
Yes, unless the officer has marked a payable amount on the front of your summons. If no payment amount is marked on your summons, you must appear in court on the date set in the Appearance Date box on your summons. Failure to appear is considered contempt of court and will result in consequences including the issuance of a warrant for your arrest, imposition of a hold on your driver's privilege and additional fees and costs.

Arriving in a timely manner is important in order for you to go through the check-in procedure and hear the advisement given prior to the actual start of court.

You should be dressed in appropriate professional attire. Clothing should be clean and neat. Hats are not allowed in the courtroom (muscle shirts, crop tops, cut offs, short shorts or similar attire are not permitted). Individuals dressed inappropriately may be asked to return home to change clothing or be held in contempt.

Smoking, food or drinks are not allowed in the courtroom.

If I am under 18, am I required to appear with a parent?
Yes, you must bring a parent or legal guardian with you to court. If you are eligible to pay your fine without a court appearance, your parent or legal guardian must come with you to the court to pay the fine.

How do I request a change in my court date?
The court may, in its discretion, allow one continuance of your scheduled court date. Contact the Court Clerk to request a continuance.

How do I contest the charge?
To contest the charge, you must appear in court, plead not guilty and set your case for trial. If you would like to discuss your case with the prosecutor, you can do so on your first court date after you have been advised of your rights by the judge.

May I call the Court for legal advice?
The court staff cannot give you legal advice of any kind.

Do I need to bring an attorney?
You have the right to hire an attorney to represent you in your case. You are not required to hire an attorney and can represent yourself if you so choose.

If I cannot afford an attorney, will the Court appoint an attorney to represent me?
The right to court appointed counsel exists only in those cases where (1) You are facing a jail sentence for the charge; and (2) You are indigent according to state established guidelines.

Will I have to pass through a metal detector?
For your safety, a metal detector may be used to search all who enter the municipal court. All items, including purses, backpacks, briefcases, etc. will be searched.

How long will my court appearance take?
Your first court appearance, called an arraignment, should last between one and three hours. In this session, the judge will advise you of your rights and the court process. After you have been advised of your rights, you may plead not guilty and set your case for trial, plead not guilty and speak to the prosecutor or plead guilty to the charge.

What happens if I set my case for trial?
If you decide to contest the case and plead not guilty, the court will set your case for trial on a future date.

What happens if I miss my court date?
If you miss your court date, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. In addition, a default judgment may enter, meaning that the points for the charge will be assessed against your driving privilege. The fine will be automatically imposed and a hold may be placed on your driver's license. If a warrant has been issued, you may appear in court (call first to arrange a date and time), (you may write a letter to the judge explaining why you missed your court date), or you can post a cash bond. You may be arrested at any time if a warrant has been issued, so it is advisable to exercise one of the options quickly. For more information, contact the Court Clerk at (720) 382-5531.

When are my fines and costs due?
Fines and costs are due on the day of sentencing. For good cause, the Court may grant a stay of the fines and costs for a brief period of time. If a stay is requested, the Court is required by ordinance to impose a $25 stay fee. Contact the Court Clerk for more information.

How do I get an extension on my time to complete community service?
For good cause shown, the Court Clerk may grant one extension of time to complete community service. You must contact her before the due date. If you have already missed the deadline for completion of community service, you must appear in court to address the issue with the Judge. Failure to complete community service may result in the issuance of a contempt citations and contempt penalties as determined by the court.

Questions about Traffic Cases

How much will my fine be?
The fine is set by the Judge. The amount of the fine will depend upon a variety of factors, including the nature of the charge, the driving history of the defendant and the circumstances of the case. The maximum fine that can be imposed in a traffic infraction case (e.g. stop sign violations, speeding 10-19 miles per hour over the speed limit, etc.) is $1000. The maximum penalty that can be imposed in a traffic offense case (serious violations such as Reckless Driving, Speed Contest, No Proof of Insurance, etc.) is a $2,650 fine, plus up to one year in jail. These are maximum penalties only and are not reflective of penalties typically imposed.

What should I do if I was charged with Failure to Provide Proof of Insurance?
If you have been charged with failure to provide proof of insurance, you should bring proof of insurance with you to court (on or before your scheduled court date). If insurance was properly in effect at the time of your alleged violation, the No Proof of Insurance charge will be dismissed and a administrative fee of $20 will be assessed per ordinance. If you purchase insurance after the violation date, you can bring that proof with you to show to the Judge in connection with his determination of your sentence.