Building Permits / Inspections
Building Code Update:
Starting June 30,2021 the 2018 I-codes and 2020 NEC will be used.
The Building Division is a division of the Engineering and Utilities Department and is responsible for the building permit and inspection activities for all commercial, industrial, and residential projects within the town with the express goal of maintaining a safe building environment for all citizens and businesses.
Wondering what's being built around the community? Check out the current development applications under review page. For more information about upcoming neighborhood meetings, including notice of application or public hearings, check the calendar for details and meeting dates.
Where to Start Have a project you wat to do but unsure how to get things moving? Use this checklist to get the correct documents submitted and keep your project on track.
- Fill out the fillable permit application.
- A drawing is required for a basement finish and remodeling.
- A plot plan and drawing is required for a deck, patio, patio cover, pergola.
- Contact the building department about sheds.
- Call 811 to be sure you are not digging into power lines.
- Submit electronic application, drawings and plot plot plan to email@example.com
- The review period is up to 14 business days. You will receive an email when the review is done. If you have not been contacted after 14 days, call the building office.
- You can pay for the permit over the phone or in person but the permit will need to be picked up in person at the building office. The final documents will be emailed after the permit is picked up. The permit will need to be on-site and visible to all.
- Contractors must have a current license with the Town of Frederick. If the license is not current, the permit fee is subject to a double permitting fee.
- For concrete, stone and rock work, please call the Town of Frederick Planning Department to check setback requirements.
- Do not build on utility easements.
- For a shed smaller than 200 sq. ft. a permit is not needed but please speak to the Town of Frederick Planning Department to be sure you are meeting set back requirements.
- If landscaping or building materials will be left in the street, please submit a materials drop permit. Materials can be left in the street for up to 72 hours. Traffic control cones must be set up around the materials. Dumpsters may not be left in the street or in an alley. They are only allowed to stay in the residents driveway.
- Tiny homes are not permitted in Frederick.
- All livable structures must be larger than 500 sq. ft, have a permanent foundation and able to hook up to utilities.
- For fencing requirements, setback standards and easement questions, please refer to Town of Frederick Planning's common questions.
Building Permit ApplicationsThe Building Division will ONLY be accepting electronic applications and plan sets to firstname.lastname@example.org
For a patio cover or deck, please request an inspection at the following points:
- Rough Framing
- After any electrical has been done
- Final Inspection
For other inspections, please request an inspection at the follow points:
- If you plan on moving underground pipes, have the pipes inspected first.
- After framing
- After electrical is finished
- After plumbing is finished
- If installing insulation other than the insulation blanket
- After drywall is hung
- Final Inspection
Inspection RequestsThe best and most efficient way to schedule an inspection is to use our online form:
Inspection Request Form
If you are unable to use the online form please call 720.382.5620 to schedule an inspection.
Please schedule 1-2 days before inspection is needed. Inspections requests requested before 7 am can be scheduled for the same day in most cases and based on availability.
Commercial electrical inspection requests shall be submitted by 3pm the prior day.
2021 Holiday Closures
- November 11
- November 25 and 26
- December 23 and 24
- December 31