Common Questions about Frederick Codes


  • Setbacks are determined by your zoning.  If you know your zoning district and you do not have a Planned Unit Development (PUD) overlay on your property, follow the table that defines your setbacks.
  • If your subdivision has a Planned Unit Development (PUD) Overlay District, please contact the Planning Department regarding setbacks.


  • Absolutely no permanent structures allowed inside easements. 
  • If you know how to read a plat, use the property search map to locate your home, on the plat you will need to locate your house by lot and block number.  If plats are not in your expertise, call the Planning Department and ask to speak with the Planner on Duty who will be happy to help you. 
  • Got more questions? Call the Planning Department.


  • No permit is required for installing a fence, however if a contractor is installing the fence, they must be licensed with the Town.
  • Be sure to check with your HOA for your development standards such as style and approved colors. If you live in a development with no HOA please contact the planning department for approved styles and colors. If the fence is for a commercial building, check with the planning department for guidelines.
  • Rear and side fences can be up to 6ft tall
  • Front fences can not exceed 42 inches and may not be located within the sight triangle.
  • Corner fences must be 50% see through. Corner fencing is subject to special angles, (distance/sight triangle) so oncoming traffic and pedestrians can be seen. Please contact the Engineering Department before installing a corner fence. 


  • All in-ground pools need a building permit. 
  • Pool must be located outside of any existing easements on the property.
  • Accessory structures proposed with Pool (pool house, shed, etc)?  Submit drawings, plot plan showing distance to other structures and the permit application electronically to the Building Department.